Interesting facts and ideas for your own excursion on the beautiful Balearic Islands
- Regular berth: Muelle Dique del Oeste in industrial harbour
- Regular berth: Estació Maritima in close proximity to the marina
- Harbour Shuttle: With costs e.g. with Aida - 6 €, for there and back. Destination: In front of the cathedral La Seu in the Camino de la Escollera
- Taxis: Usually available at the quay (downtown for about 10,00 Euro)
- Buses: Line 1 stops directly at the port access of both berths
- Car rental*: Sixt, Calle Marbella 53 B and at the airport
- Car rental*: Hertz, at the airport
- Car rental*: Avis, at the airport
- Post office: Avinguda de Joan Miró, 124 (at the marina), Carrer de la Constitució, 6 (Close to the cathedral). Stamps are also available in tobacco shops.
- Tourist Information: Placa de la Reina 2 (Near the cathedral)
- Berths of the cruise liners
Many cruise liners moor at the back of the harbour at the Muelle de Embarque Balearia. There, a modern cruise terminal for arriving and departing cruise guests was recently built. From this pier, it is approximately 900 metres to the harbour access. Right from there, one gets for 1,50 € with the bus no. 1 to the city centre at a distance of approximately 6 kilometres. Tickets are available from the driver. There are also 10x tickets for 10 €. On foot, one can plan approximately 90 minutes for this distance. Near the entrance of the harbour there is another berth.
- Berths of the cruise liners
Adjacent to the marina and much closer to the city are the piers of the Baleária ferries. Once the cruise ship has moored there at the Estació
Maritima, it takes about 45 minutes on foot to reach the city. Alternatively, bus stop 26 of the number 1 bus line is located in the immediate vicinity at the entrance to the port and
there is also a stop for the popular Hop On Hop Off buses.
- Sightseeing tours and harbour tours
The journey time of the well-known red Hop On Hop Off buses from City Sightseeing, is 80 minutes per round with 16 stops. During the summer months they run from 09:30-22:00 every 20 minutes. For a day ticket you pay 12 Euro per person. There are also optional trips with a Hop On Hop Off boat available. These also cost 12 euros per adult and offer great views of Palma and the cruise ships.
- Imposing cathedral
Already from a distance, the impressive Cathedral La Seu is visible. It is only a short walk from the shuttle bus stop in the centre. The mighty cathedral is approximately 110 metres long, 33 metres wide and definitely worth seeing. In addition, the Diocesan Museum, founded in 1916 and attached to the Bishop's Palace, and the cloister, near which the toilets are also located, are very attractive. A particularly beautiful atmosphere is created in the mornings by the eastern standing sun, which sends its rays through the huge glass window dating from the 14th century. This consists of over 1200 glass mosaics and has a diameter of an impressive 12.50 metres. A visit around 10:00 am is worthwhile alone because of the then colourful play of light, weather conditions permitting. It is open Monday to Friday from 10:00-18:15 in the main season from June to September. Outside the season, it is closed earlier, at 15:15 at the earliest. All year round, open on Saturdays from 10:00-14:15 and generally closed for visits on Sundays. Admission is 8.00 euros for children aged 11 and over, including the museum. The latter can also be visited individually for a fee of 3 euros. If one buys the combo-ticket with cathedral for 8 euro at the museum, one can also get straight to the entrance of the cathedral and avoid the often long queues at the cash desk of the church.
- Almudaina Palace
Almudaina Palace. Located directly on the west side of the cathedral. Formerly the seat of the Moorish rulers, later the city residence of the Mallorcan kings, and today it houses the regional government of the Balearic Islands. Only guided tours are possible there today.
- Bellver Castle
Bellver Castle. Built in 1309, it is the only remaining circular castle in Spain. Located at a height of 112 metres, it offers an excellent view over Palma and its harbour. Inside there is a museum about the history of the city. The bus stop of the bus lines 3, 4, 20, 21 and 22 is about 20 minutes walk from the castle. Open from 10:00-19:00 in the high season. Admission 2,00 €.
- Playa de Palma
The long beach Playa de Palma can be easily reached with a bus of the line 15, starting for example at Plaza de la Reina (small roundabout with fountain). Near the bus stop 38 Llaüt (Mega Park) you will find a famous party mile.
- Bikes for rent
A few metres below the roundabout in Avenue Antoni Maura no. 10, one can rent bicycles (12 €) and rollerblades (10 €).
The Palma Aquarium is located at Manuela de los Herreros i Sorà, 21, just 500 metres from the Playa de Palma beach. The Aquarium, which opened in 2007, is accessible without barriers and is home to around 8000 animals of about 700 species.
- Shopping opportunities
At the ferry quay there is a modern, air-conditioned shopping centre, the Centro Comercial Porto Pi. Here you can find numerous shops and
boutiques. There are also several restaurants and cafés.
- Shops, cafés and restaurants
The old town of Palma invites you to stroll around. Around the Plaça Major there are many small shops. Directly on the plaça Major there is an attractive handicraft market every Monday, Friday and Saturday. There, one can discover some very special souvenirs.
Also in Palma de Mallorca, the Siesta is still mostly followed. Therefore, most of the shops close at noon from approximately 13.30 to 16.30 o'clock. But the big shopping centres are normally open continuously.
- Excursion portals and excursion providers
Through the tour and excursion providers GetYourGuide*, Meine Landausflüge*, rent-a-guide* and Viator*, you can book various excursions, activities, tours, tickets and admission tickets in Palma de Mallorca, which are often offered at much lower prices than comparable excursions offered by the shipping companies. Thus, if you book in time, you can realize a variety of excursions on your own.
A small preselection of independent tour operators
for, in and around Palma de Mallorca,
we have compiled for you here.
- Cruises and special offers
If you have not yet booked a Mediterranean cruise, but would like to get to know Mallorca personally and make excursions on your own, you will find great offers from the major cruise operators in the German-speaking world. Aida*, Costa* and Tui Cruises* offer attractive routes with their modern cruise ships, together with other interesting destinations. Book your next dream holiday directly with your favourite shipping company at fair conditions.
All ocean and river cruises can also be booked conveniently and inexpensively online with the sea travel specialist Kreuzfahrten-Zentrale Astoria*. This means that you can choose from a large number of up-to-date offers from various shipping companies. These include AIDA Cruises, Carnival, Celebrity Cruises, Costa Cruises, Cunard, Holland America Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean and TUI Cruises. Also attractive are the popular special offers, with which one can travel at a particularly low price and possibly also get a great bargain.
- Opening hours of the museums: Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00-13:00 and from 16:00-18:00 Sunday from 10:00-14:00
- Opening hours of the churches: daily from 09:30-12:30 and from 15:00-18:00 Closed in the afternoon on Sundays and public holidays.
- Opening hours of the post office: Monday to Friday from 09:00-21:00. Saturday from 09:00-14:00.
- Opening hours of the banks: Monday to Friday from 09:00-14:00
- Opening hours of the tourist information office: Monday to Friday from 09:00-20:00
- General emergency call: Tel. 112
- Police: Tel. 091/092
- Emergency doctor: Tel. 061
- Fire department: Tel. 080
- Recommended vaccination: Tropical Institute Spain
- Bus timetables: Palma de Mallorca Bus connections
- Map of the city: Palma de Mallorca Map
- Climate table: Palma de Mallorca Climate
- Port occupancy: Cruise ships in Palma de Mallorca
- National currency: Euro, 1 Euro = 100 Cent
Weitere Hafeninformationen beliebter Kreuzfahrtziele im Mittelmeer
More port information on popular cruise destinations in the Mediterranean